Foodspotting

Friday, May 28, 2010

Zen Restaurant- Northampton, MA

I went to Zen for my birthday dinner with my parents. My family loves sushi, so when I got to decide on sushi for dinner there were no complaints.

If you are new to sushi; start with the California roll. It’s not technically sushi, it’s actually called Makizushi , but it’s a good place to start. Sushi is actually the cooked vinegar rice that is balled and served with a seafood draped over it (usually raw). The texture of sushi and varying rolls may be difficult for some to get used to at first but it is delicious and a wonderful experience once you can overcome the difference in texture. The California Roll is soft with a slight crunch from the nori and cucumber and is often sprinkled with sesame seeds on the outside of the roll.

This “Pan-Asian Cuisine” restaurant was very nice. The décor was very bright. They used warm reds and oranges throughout the restaurant. We got to sit up on the balcony overlooking the sushi chefs. My back was facing them so I had to turn around to see them work, but it was still fun.

For starters we got the obligatory edamame. They served it with a garlic/peanut sauce which was very strong, but good. We also ordered a few glasses of a dry/oaky chardonnay, which my girlfriend and I both loved.

For dinner my girlfriend and I split a dish of orange chicken. It was a little over cooked but the sauce was very good. We also ordered a spicy tuna roll that was excellent, there was a large piece of fresh tuna and just enough of the spicy mayo. My father also ordered us a giant sushi and sashimi platter. The tuna was excellent; it is very mild and has a firm texture that is easy to get used to. All of the sashimi that was served was the freshest I have had. I have been to some restaurants and the sashimi appears saggy and falling apart and occasionally has a fishy smell. This is not high quality sushi and should be stayed away from.

A good piece of sashimi or sushi will have very little “fishy” smell and will actually taste sweet and salty. This of course is not always the case; there are many types of fish that are served which have a very strong aroma and taste such as; sea urchin, mackerel, bonito (which is in the mackerel family). White tuna is also a fish to take caution with because of its soft almost coagulated fat-like texture. Some fish that have a more mild aroma and taste are sea clam, salmon, tuna, yellow fin tuna-(red),red snapper, sea bass(-in middle), and tilapia (in middle). For the most part, the fish that are served at these restaurants are all usually mild if they are fresh.

For dessert they ordered me a dish that consisted of tempura’d (deep fried) fruit drizzled with a chocolate sauce and served with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream. I thought this desert was good, not great but good. It did its job of satisfying my girlfriend and I’s sweet tooth. I suggest filling up on sushi or going to one of the café’s or ice cream shops that are all over the city, for dessert.

This restaurant had excellent sushi and the wait staff was very friendly and accessible. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves or wants to try sushi. I have been there a few times, and the next time I’m in the area I’ll be sure to stop in.

No comments:

Post a Comment